Orange Blossom Classic Weekend – Courtesy: Hard Rock Stadium
OBC GOLF TOURNAMENT
▪ Time: 11 a.m. Thursday
▪ Location: Miami Lakes Golf Club, 7601 Miami Lakes Dr., Hialeah
▪ Event: The Orange Blossom Classic Weekend starts off with a golf tournament set up to fundraise for Florida A&M and Jackson State. This year, the golf tournament is in conjunction with a performance by HBCU music mogul Cortez Bryant, on behalf of the Cortez Bryant Foundation. So put on your stylish gear, polish your clubs, and have fun at the Orange Blossom Golf Tournament.
CAREERS IN SPORTS AND ENTERTAINMENT SYMPOSIUM
▪ Time: Friday. Doors open at 8 a.m.; event starts at 9 a.m.
▪ Location: St. Thomas University, 16401 NW 37th Ave., Miami Gardens
▪ Event: Leading minds in the sports industry will meet at the Orange Blossom Careers in Sports and Entertainment Symposium. In “My Platform, My Voice,” it will examine the political and social impacts on the sporting world. The panelists will stimulate in-depth discussions of the most recent issues and how to be an effective voice on both the St. Thomas University campus and in the recently reopened Benjamin L. Crump Center for Social Justice. For the purpose of fostering professional development and collaboration, this event offers networking opportunities for both students and industry leaders.
WELCOME RECEPTION AND KICKOFF LUNCHEON
▪ Time: Friday. Cocktail reception at 11 a.m. Luncheon starts at noon.
▪ Location: 19999 W. Country Club Dr., Aventura
▪ Event: The Greater Miami Convention and Visitors Bureau is the honorary sponsor of the Welcome Reception and Luncheon to celebrate the Year of the Woman’s 30th anniversary. The event will recognize incredible HBCU alumni in sports, entertainment, and politics. This celebration highlights the power of women and the importance of legacy.
BATTLE OF THE BANDS
▪ Time: Saturday. Doors open at 5 p.m. Start time at 6 p.m.
▪ Location: Watsco Center, 1245 Dauer Dr., Coral Gables
▪ Event: The Orange Blossom Classic Battle of the Bands is back and better than ever in an indoor multi-purpose arena at the University of Miami. The event will showcase talents from local high school bands from the tri-county area looking to receive the title of “Best Band in the Land.” Then, get ready for an appearance from the one-of-a-kind Jackson State Sonic Boom and the mighty FAMU Marching 100s. The bands will entertain and send thrills down your spine as they set the stage in precision musicianship, marching, and the heritage of the HBCU Marching Bands. This event is known to hype up guests for the big game during the Orange Blossom Classic weekend.
GAME-DAY FAN FEST
▪ Time: Sunday. Doors open at 11 a.m.
▪ Location: Hard Rock Stadium — 347 Don Shula Dr., Miami Gardens
▪ Event: Which HBCU are you repping before the game?
Don’t forget to stop by the Fan Fest before heading into the stadium to indulge in the delicious food from food trucks, the OBC Sponsors themselves, and amazing performances on the OBC Fan Fest Soundstage.
▪ Time: 3 p.m. Sunday.
▪ Who: Florida A&M vs. Jackson State.
▪ Last year: Jackson State defeated Florida A&M 7-6.
Like what you see? Click here for more stories about everything Florida. Florida Insider is dedicated to educating, entertaining, and informing its readers about everything in Florida. Easy to read content at the palm of your hands and covering the stories that matter.
Chris began his writing as a hobby while attending Florida Southern College in Lakeland, Florida. Today he and his wife live in the Orlando area with their three children and dog.