Trick or Treating on Halloween – Courtesy: Shutterstock — Yuganov Konstantin
Spooky season is upon us and the Florida Poison Control Center wants trick-or-treaters and their guardians to have a safe and happy Halloween.
“Halloween is a fun and exciting time for kids, but it’s important to remind parents and caregivers to be aware of potentially dangerous situations,” said Dr. Dawn Sollee, Director of the Florida/USVI Poison Information Center – Jacksonville.
The Florida/USVI Poison Information Center — Jacksonville is offering the following safety tips to help families and friends avoid a Halloween nightmare.
Dress Up Time! Be Careful with Cosmetics
Avoid skin irritation and allergic reactions.
- Only use non-toxic products intended for use on the skin.
- Throw away makeup that has a bad smell or has expired.
- Patch test: Test makeup on a small area of skin first (like an arm or leg) to check for a potential allergic reaction prior to applying it to the face.
- Remove makeup and colored hair sprays before bedtime, to prevent eye and skin irritation.
Glow Sticks — Bright but Don’t Take a Bite!
Poison control centers receive an influx of calls regarding glow sticks/glow-in-the-dark jewelry during the month of October. Constantly remind children to avoid breaking open or chewing glow sticks or other glow products. Glow stick liquid is minimally toxic in small amounts.
- Can cause mouth irritation and nausea if swallowed
- Can cause skin irritation
- Eyes are especially sensitive to glow liquid
After kids are finished collecting candy, remember to:
- Inspect toys and candy to avoid any choking hazards and ensure treats are in their original, unopened wrappers. Throw away any home wrapped, re-wrapped, partially wrapped, or suspicious-looking candy.
- Some medications and drugs can look like candy, keep them out of reach to avoid mix-ups.
- Keep chocolate and candy away from pets, as the artificial sweetener xylitol found in candy can be deadly for dogs.
Use Caution with Dry Ice
- Ingestion or skin exposure can cause significant damage.
- Don’t place dry ice directly in punch bowls or cups. It can burn the mouth and throat.
- Don’t store dry ice in an unventilated room and don’t close your car windows when transporting dry ice.
- To prevent frostbite, wear gloves when touching dry ice.
“Whether a child has bitten into a glow stick, gets a rash from face makeup, or someone gets burned by dry ice, we are available 24/7 to help with any poisoning emergency or question at 1-800-222-1222,” Sollee said.
Make sure you are staying up-to-date with the latest and most important Florida news with Florida Insider. Whether you are interested in business, education, government, history, sports, real estate, nature, weather, or travel: we have something for everyone. Follow along for the best stories in the Sunshine State.
Born and raised in South Florida, Krystal is a recent graduate from the University of Miami with professional writing experience at the collegiate and national news outlet levels. She’s a foodie who loves all things travel, the beach, & visiting new places throughout Florida.